Drain lines come in a variety of sizes. Many plumbers and drain cleaners find themselves changing reels midday or even mid-job. While some manufacturers attach reels with brackets and screws, MyTana cable machines all come with quick-change drive springs. Following the steps below, you can change your reel in under two minutes with only a hex key tool.
How to change a MyTana cable reel
- Detach any blades, attachments, or leader cables.
- If you have an Autofeed, remove it or push the cable through it.
- Detach and remove the revolving arm. Use a hex key tool to loosen the set screws on the arm. Models M81, M844 and M98 feature a J-lock spring arm, while the M661 and M888 use a standard revolving arm.
- Push cable through the revolving arm and back into the reel.
- Unhook the drive spring from the cleat at the rear of the reel.
- Slide the reel off the drive shaft and replace it with your new reel.
- Attach the drive spring on the new reel to the cleat.
- Feed the cable into the loose revolving arm until a few inches protrude and reinstall the arm. Remember to tighten the set screws.
- Feed cable through Autofeed (if you didn’t already) and reattach it.
- Reattach your blade, end tool, or leader.
With these simple steps, you can swap your cable and move forward with the job. To see the quick-change reel in action, check out our video of a cable-swap on the M661 and M81: